Service & Outreach
At St. John’s, our hands-on service projects are local.
Feeding the Hungry
In the summer of 2021, St. John’s is launching a new feeding ministry, Nurture our Neighbor. St. John’s will serve its neighbors directly with a monthly food distribution, starting on September 19. We are collecting various food items to stock our food pantry. The following items can be brought to the church on Sunday mornings and put in the bins in the Narthex:
Beans – dry or canned, black or pinto preferred
Cereal and/or Oatmeal
Macaroni and cheese
Pasta sauce and/or Canned Tomatoes
Canned tuna or chicken
Canned Fruit and/or Applesauce
We are also collecting allergy-sensitive donations of SunButter and gluten free pasta.
- Cans or plastic containers, as opposed to glass, are preferred.
- Please check your items for expiration dates. Expired items cannot be distributed.
Meals and Wheels
Throughout the year St. John’s provides meals to the Interfaith Works Women’s Center by providing “5th Friday” Dinners. On the 5th Friday of the month (for those months with five Fridays), St. John’s provides dinner to the women at the shelter. St. John’s also supplies breakfast items for the following Saturday morning.
Another meal ministry that St. John’s has participated in is the provision of the occasional Sunday evening meal to the students in Lutheran Campus Ministry at the University of Maryland.
St. John’s members also provide meals to individuals and families who needed extra support during illness or ongoing treatment, those recovering from surgery, and for families in times of grief. Our members have also volunteered to drive to medical appointments and to shop for others.
Supporting Our Senior Community
Piecemakers creates warm quilts for those suffering from natural and man-made disasters worldwide.
More about Piecemakers >>
The Prayer Shawl Ministry provides knitted and crocheted items to those in need of the prayers and comfort of St. John’s.
More about the Prayer Shawl Ministry >>
Providing Meeting Space
St. John’s also provides meeting space for a variety of groups, including:
- Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) meets on Monday and Thursday nights at 8:00 pm weekly.
- Al-Anon meets Friday night at 8:00 pm weekly.
- AA Women meets Saturday at 9:00 am weekly.
- NA meets Saturday at 7:00 pm weekly.
- 4-H Lucky Clovers meets the third Friday of the month at 6:30 pm.
- Garden Club meets on the third Thursday of the month at 10:00 am.
- Girl Scouts meet every other Sunday.